Meghalaya Legislative Assembly 

           Meghalaya, then consisting of the Garo Hills sub-division along with the Khasi States enjoyed semi-independent status by virtue of a treaty relationship with the British Crown.  With the partition of Bengal  in 1905, Meghalaya became a part of the new province of Assam and Eastern Bengal. In 1912, when the partition of Bengal was reversed, Meghalaya became a part of the revived  province of Assam.

  On 3 January, 1921 following the Montague-Chelmsford Report of 1917 and the Government of India Act of 1919 the Governor-General-in-Council declared the areas now in Meghalaya,  excluding the Khasi States, as backward tracts under the Act.  In the wake of the Government of India Act, 1935, the areas now in Meghalaya, excluding the Khasi States, became partially excluded areas.  However, these areas were represented in the Assam Legislative Council since 1920 and later also in the pre-Independence Assam Legislative Assembly.

 On 2 April 1970 an Autonomous State of Meghalaya was created within the State of Assam by the Assam Reorganisation (Meghalaya) Act, 1969.  In accordance with the Sixth schedule to the Constitution, a Legislature of the Autonomous State consisting of  37 members who were elected indirectly by the Autonomous District Councils was set up. The first sitting of the Assembly took place in Tura on 14 April, 1970.

 In 1971, the Parliament passed the North-Eastern Areas (Reorganization) Act, 1971 which conferred full statehood on the Autonomous State of Meghalaya.  It attained statehood on 21 January 1972, with a Legislative Assembly. 

        The Legislature of Meghalaya is unicameral.  At present, the total membership of the Legislative Assembly is 60.  The normal tenure of the Assembly is five years  unless sooner dissolved .